• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertising
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, August 22, 2026
Lake City Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Top News
  • Region
  • City News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Edit-Oped
  • Tourism
  • National
  • World
  • ePaper
  • Top News
  • Region
  • City News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Edit-Oped
  • Tourism
  • National
  • World
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
Lake City News
No Result
View All Result
Home Top News

Amarnath Yatra: 12,168 pilgrims pay obeisance at Holy Cave on first day

LCT Desk by LCT Desk
July 4, 2026
in Top News
Reading Time: 2min read
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegram

READ ALSO

Youth in J&K looking to create jobs: Lt Governor

Refrain from commenting on religious issues: CM advises politicians

Srinagar, Jul 3: A total of 12,168 pilgrims paid obeisance at the Holy Cave Shrine on the opening day of the annual Amarnath Yatra on Friday, as the pilgrimage commenced from the twin base camps of Baltal and Nunwan (Pahalgam), while the second batch of 3,865 pilgrims left Jammu for Kashmir under elaborate security arrangements.
Officials said that the pilgrimage began in the early hours from both the traditional 48-km Nunwan-Pahalgam route and the shorter 14-km Baltal route despite intermittent rainfall.
They said pilgrims, including men, women and sadhus, started their journey towards the 3,880-metre-high Holy Cave Shrine amid chants of “Bum Bum Bhole” after being flagged off by the respective Deputy Commissioners and Senior Superintendents of Police from the two base camps.
According to officials, 12,168 persons performed darshan at the Holy Cave till 7:00 pm on Friday. The figure includes 9,354 male pilgrims, 2,250 female pilgrims, 219 children, 71 sadhus, nine transgender devotees and 265 security personnel.
Meanwhile, the second batch of pilgrims left the Bhagwati Nagar Yatri Niwas in Jammu in two escorted convoys.
According to official figures, 1,735 pilgrims bound for the Baltal route departed at 3:13 am, while 2,130 pilgrims heading towards the Pahalgam route left at 3:38 am, taking the total strength of the second batch to 3,865.
Officials said the batch comprised of 2,965 male pilgrims, 618 women, 230 sadhus, 48 sadhvis and four children.
The pilgrims were travelling in 201 vehicles, including 83 buses, 14 medium motor vehicles (MMVs) and 104 light motor vehicles (LMVs). Of these, 115 vehicles were part of the Baltal-bound convoy, while 86 vehicles are heading towards the Pahalgam base camp, officials said. “With the departure of the second batch on Friday, a total of 8,687 pilgrims have left the Bhagwati Nagar Yatri Niwas in Jammu for the Kashmir Valley over the past two days to undertake the annual Amarnath Yatra.”
Meanwhile, the Jammu and Kashmir administration issued an advisory urging devotees to undertake the pilgrimage only after completing advance registration and to strictly adhere to their allotted travel dates.
The administration said that in accordance with the directions of the Supreme Court, a daily ceiling has been fixed on the number of pilgrims permitted on the Yatra routes to ensure the safety of devotees and the smooth conduct of the annual pilgrimage.
Officials said advance registration had been made available well before the commencement of the Yatra through designated bank branches across the country and online platforms, with a majority of pilgrims already availing the facility.
The administration clarified that the Tatkal or on-the-spot registration facility has only limited slots and cannot accommodate thousands of unregistered pilgrims arriving in Jammu and Kashmir. Devotees without prior registration have been requested to wait for their allotted date and travel only as per the schedule issued by the authorities.
The advisory further noted that several registered pilgrims have been reaching Jammu and Kashmir before their scheduled travel dates. Authorities reiterated that no pilgrim would be allowed to proceed on the Yatra before the date mentioned on the registration slip.
The administration assured that every registered devotee would get an opportunity to undertake the Yatra in accordance with the prescribed procedure and the daily carrying capacity. Pilgrims have been urged to maintain discipline, cooperate with the authorities and follow all guidelines for the safe and orderly conduct of the pilgrimage.
Authorities have put in place multi-tier security arrangements, with personnel from the J&K Police, CRPF and other security agencies deployed along both routes to ensure the safe and smooth conduct of the annual pilgrimage.
The 57-day pilgrimage is scheduled to conclude on August 28. (KNO)

Related Posts

Top News

Youth in J&K looking to create jobs: Lt Governor

August 22, 2026
Youth in J&K looking to create jobs: Lt Governor

Jammu, Aug 21: The Lieutenant Governor, Manoj Sinha Friday inaugurated a series of new infrastructure facilities at the Sher-e-Kashmir University...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
Top News

Refrain from commenting on religious issues: CM advises politicians

August 22, 2026
Refrain from commenting on religious issues: CM advises politicians

Srinagar, Aug 21: Asking politicians to leave religious issues for clerics and priests, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Friday asked...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
Top News

Citing convention, BJP stakes claim for Dy Speaker’s chair

August 22, 2026
Repair roads in Kashmir; ensure electricity during Ramadhan: BJP to admin

Srinagar, Aug 21: Ahead of the upcoming autumn session of the Legislative Assembly, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) State President Sat...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
National

J&K India’s integral part: MEA

August 22, 2026
Cross-border terrorism biggest threat to people: MEA

New Delhi, Aug 21: India on Friday dismissed Pakistan’s objections to remarks by US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor on...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
Top News

Poland backs India’s right to pursue terrorists beyond borders: Envoy

August 22, 2026
Poland backs India’s right to pursue terrorists beyond borders: Envoy

New Delhi, Aug 21: Asserting that Poland supports India's fight against terrorism and understands its concerns, Polish Ambassador Piotr Antoni...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
Top News

Doodhpathri reopens for tourists

August 22, 2026
Doodhpathri records 1.86 million tourists in 2024

Budgam, Aug 21: Authorities on Friday reopened Doodhpathri, one of the major tourist spots in Central Kashmir’s Budgam district, for...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
Next Post
India will never accept mediation: PM Modi

Spend on local products: PM to Amarnath Yatris

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertising
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© 2021 Lake City Times - Premium theme by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • Top News
  • Region
  • City News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Edit-Oped
  • Tourism
  • National
  • World
  • ePaper

© 2021 Lake City Times - Premium theme by GITS.