• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertising
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Lake City Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Top News
  • Region
  • City News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Edit-Oped
  • Tourism
  • National
  • World
  • ePaper
  • Top News
  • Region
  • City News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Edit-Oped
  • Tourism
  • National
  • World
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
Lake City News
No Result
View All Result
Home Top News

18 lakh MT of clay, sand, gravel illegally excavated from Budgam, Pulwama Karewas: Report

LCT Desk by LCT Desk
August 19, 2026
in Top News
Reading Time: 3min read
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegram

READ ALSO

Govt destroyed ISI-backed terror group: Amit Shah

Dialogue means of building bridges between hearts: Lt Governor

Srinagar, Aug 18: More than 18 lakh metric tonnes of clay, sand and gravel were allegedly excavated illegally from Karewa areas of Budgam and Pulwama districts between 2019 and 2024, according to a report submitted before the National Green Tribunal (NGT).
The report was prepared by a joint committee comprising senior officials from the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC), Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), J&K Pollution Control Committee (JKPCC) and the deputy commissioners of Budgam and Pulwama.
The findings were placed on record before the NGT in a case filed by environmental activist Dr Raja Muzaffar Bhat against the J&K government and others.
According to the report, large-scale excavation was detected in Zadoora village in Pulwama and Gowherpora and Rangeen Kultreh villages in Chadoora area of Budgam.
Of the material excavated, around 1.30 lakh metric tonnes was reported from Gowherpora and Rangeen Kultreh, while around five lakh metric tonnes was reported from Zadoora’s Hastikhud area.
The joint committee attributed the excavation during part of the period to the law-and-order situation following the abrogation of Article 370 and the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 and 2021, citing information provided by the J&K Mining Department.
A report submitted by JKPCC Member Secretary Dr R Gopinath regarding the Gowherpora site said mining activities allegedly continued between 2021 and 2024 without mandatory environmental clearances and other approvals.
“It was observed that Environmental Clearance has not been obtained prior to commencement of mining activities,” the report said, adding that earth mining was carried out without an approved mining plan, consent from the Pollution Control Committee, Environmental Management Plan and environmental clearance.
The report also named NKC Projects Pvt Ltd in connection with excavation activities at the Gowherpora site.
Satellite imagery submitted by the Directorate of Ecology, Environment and Remote Sensing also indicated expansion of mining activity in the Zadoora-Hastikhud area.
According to the report, comparative analysis of satellite imagery from 2020 to 2025 showed a “significant expansion” of excavation areas, with previously separated excavation zones becoming increasingly interconnected due to the continued expansion of mining operations.
The imagery also indicated mining activity near the coordinates referenced in photographs annexed with the NGT case.
Reacting to the findings, Bhat questioned the explanation that illegal excavation took place during the period of the COVID-19 lockdown and the post-August 2019 security restrictions.
“The government is trying to take benefit of Article 370 abrogation and COVID-19 pandemic. There was complete curfew and lockdown during these times and no movement of traffic was allowed. There were security forces on every major road in villages and towns. How can the Mining Department or other government authorities claim that loot and plunder took place during that time?” he said.
“18 lakh MT is a very small amount. This is 100 times more, I am sure. I will take up this case with the NGT as well as anti-corruption agencies like the CBI or ACB. The government officials who allowed this loot will be identified,” Bhat alleged.
The NGT had earlier constituted a joint inspection team comprising officials from MoEFCC, CPCB, JKPCC and the deputy commissioners of Pulwama and Budgam to examine allegations of illegal earth mining in the Karewas.
The team visited Zadoora in Pulwama and Gowherpora and Rangeen Kultreh in Chadoora, Budgam, in April this year before submitting its findings to the tribunal.
Bhat said the reports had established the alleged scale of illegal mining in the Karewa areas and demanded action against those responsible.
“The case is now crystal clear. The reports of the NGT joint committee and J&K Pollution Control Committee have clearly exposed the illegal mining done in the Karewas of Budgam and Pulwama,” he said.
He also alleged that NKC Projects Pvt Ltd had caused extensive damage to natural resources and demanded that environmental compensation be imposed in the case and that the company be blacklisted.
Bhat further called for a high-level probe into the alleged excavation of sand, clay, gravel and boulders, claiming that the material extracted could be worth hundreds of crores of rupees.
The NGT has listed the matter for further hearing on November 4. The government and the petitioner have sought time to file their respective responses. (KNS)

Related Posts

National

Govt destroyed ISI-backed terror group: Amit Shah

August 18, 2026
Amit Shah to review J&K security at high-level meet in Delhi today

New Delhi, Aug 17: Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday said that ahead of Independence Day Prime Minister Narendra...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
Top News

Dialogue means of building bridges between hearts: Lt Governor

August 18, 2026
Dialogue means of building bridges between hearts: Lt Governor

Srinagar, Aug 17: The Lieutenant Governor, Manoj Sinha Monday attended the Mulaqat programme in Pulwama, an initiative of Save Youth,...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
Top News

Don’t interfere in state matters: CM to Centre

August 18, 2026
Talks with PM focused on statehood, finances, development: Omar

Srinagar, Aug 17: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Monday called for greater devolution of powers to states, saying issues such...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
City News

Thousands offer ‘Khoja Digar’ prayer at Naqshband Sahab Shrine in Srinagar

August 18, 2026
Thousands offer ‘Khoja Digar’ prayer at Naqshband Sahab Shrine in Srinagar

Srinagar, Aug 17: An ocean of devotion swept through Srinagar’s Old City on Monday evening as thousands of devotees rushed...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
Politics

BJP hits streets in Jammu, targets NC govt over ‘failed’ promises

August 18, 2026
BJP hits streets in Jammu, targets NC govt over ‘failed’ promises

Jammu, Aug 17: Hundreds of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) workers on Monday staged protests at several locations in Jammu against...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
Politics

Ruhullah sets timeline for possible resignation, puts ball in NC leadership’s court

August 18, 2026
Er Rashid’s release no challenge to NC: Ruhullah

‎Srinagar, Aug 17: Srinagar Lok Sabha member Aga Syed Ruhullah Mehdi on Monday said he has “made up his mind”...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertising
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© 2021 Lake City Times - Premium theme by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • Top News
  • Region
  • City News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Edit-Oped
  • Tourism
  • National
  • World
  • ePaper

© 2021 Lake City Times - Premium theme by GITS.