• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertising
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Lake City Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Top News
  • Region
  • City News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Edit-Oped
  • Tourism
  • National
  • World
  • ePaper
  • Top News
  • Region
  • City News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Edit-Oped
  • Tourism
  • National
  • World
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
Lake City News
No Result
View All Result
Home Top News

18 lakh MT of clay, sand, gravel illegally excavated from Budgam, Pulwama Karewas: Report

LCT Desk by LCT Desk
August 19, 2026
in Top News
Reading Time: 3min read
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegram

READ ALSO

Film Festival to foster cultural exchange, creative collaboration: CM

Accurate data essential for effective governance: Vice President

Srinagar, Aug 18: More than 18 lakh metric tonnes of clay, sand and gravel were allegedly excavated illegally from Karewa areas of Budgam and Pulwama districts between 2019 and 2024, according to a report submitted before the National Green Tribunal (NGT).
The report was prepared by a joint committee comprising senior officials from the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC), Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), J&K Pollution Control Committee (JKPCC) and the deputy commissioners of Budgam and Pulwama.
The findings were placed on record before the NGT in a case filed by environmental activist Dr Raja Muzaffar Bhat against the J&K government and others.
According to the report, large-scale excavation was detected in Zadoora village in Pulwama and Gowherpora and Rangeen Kultreh villages in Chadoora area of Budgam.
Of the material excavated, around 1.30 lakh metric tonnes was reported from Gowherpora and Rangeen Kultreh, while around five lakh metric tonnes was reported from Zadoora’s Hastikhud area.
The joint committee attributed the excavation during part of the period to the law-and-order situation following the abrogation of Article 370 and the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 and 2021, citing information provided by the J&K Mining Department.
A report submitted by JKPCC Member Secretary Dr R Gopinath regarding the Gowherpora site said mining activities allegedly continued between 2021 and 2024 without mandatory environmental clearances and other approvals.
“It was observed that Environmental Clearance has not been obtained prior to commencement of mining activities,” the report said, adding that earth mining was carried out without an approved mining plan, consent from the Pollution Control Committee, Environmental Management Plan and environmental clearance.
The report also named NKC Projects Pvt Ltd in connection with excavation activities at the Gowherpora site.
Satellite imagery submitted by the Directorate of Ecology, Environment and Remote Sensing also indicated expansion of mining activity in the Zadoora-Hastikhud area.
According to the report, comparative analysis of satellite imagery from 2020 to 2025 showed a “significant expansion” of excavation areas, with previously separated excavation zones becoming increasingly interconnected due to the continued expansion of mining operations.
The imagery also indicated mining activity near the coordinates referenced in photographs annexed with the NGT case.
Reacting to the findings, Bhat questioned the explanation that illegal excavation took place during the period of the COVID-19 lockdown and the post-August 2019 security restrictions.
“The government is trying to take benefit of Article 370 abrogation and COVID-19 pandemic. There was complete curfew and lockdown during these times and no movement of traffic was allowed. There were security forces on every major road in villages and towns. How can the Mining Department or other government authorities claim that loot and plunder took place during that time?” he said.
“18 lakh MT is a very small amount. This is 100 times more, I am sure. I will take up this case with the NGT as well as anti-corruption agencies like the CBI or ACB. The government officials who allowed this loot will be identified,” Bhat alleged.
The NGT had earlier constituted a joint inspection team comprising officials from MoEFCC, CPCB, JKPCC and the deputy commissioners of Pulwama and Budgam to examine allegations of illegal earth mining in the Karewas.
The team visited Zadoora in Pulwama and Gowherpora and Rangeen Kultreh in Chadoora, Budgam, in April this year before submitting its findings to the tribunal.
Bhat said the reports had established the alleged scale of illegal mining in the Karewa areas and demanded action against those responsible.
“The case is now crystal clear. The reports of the NGT joint committee and J&K Pollution Control Committee have clearly exposed the illegal mining done in the Karewas of Budgam and Pulwama,” he said.
He also alleged that NKC Projects Pvt Ltd had caused extensive damage to natural resources and demanded that environmental compensation be imposed in the case and that the company be blacklisted.
Bhat further called for a high-level probe into the alleged excavation of sand, clay, gravel and boulders, claiming that the material extracted could be worth hundreds of crores of rupees.
The NGT has listed the matter for further hearing on November 4. The government and the petitioner have sought time to file their respective responses. (KNS)

Related Posts

Top News

Film Festival to foster cultural exchange, creative collaboration: CM

August 19, 2026
Film Festival to foster cultural exchange, creative collaboration: CM

Srinagar, Aug 18: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Tuesday chaired a high-level meeting to review the final preparations for the inaugural...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
National

Accurate data essential for effective governance: Vice President

August 19, 2026
CP Radhakrishnan elected as India’s new Vice President

New Delhi, Aug 18: “If the data is not correct, no decision can be correct,” Vice President C. P. Radhakrishnan...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
National

Red Fort blast case: Delhi HC denies default bail to Jasir Bilal

August 19, 2026
Bandipora court acquits 3 accused persons after 31 years

New Delhi, Aug 18: The Delhi High Court has denied default bail to Jasir Bilal Wani, an accused in the...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
Top News

Council of Ministers reshuffle: NC weighs new inductions

August 19, 2026
People of JK being sidelined systematically: NC

Srinagar, August 18 : The Omar Abdullah-led Jammu and Kashmir government appears headed for a Cabinet shake-up, with the ruling...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
Region

Security forces conduct searches in Udhampur, Reasi

August 19, 2026
Security forces conduct searches in Udhampur, Reasi

Jammu, Aug 18: Security forces on Tuesday launched search operations at several locations in Udhampur and Reasi districts following reports...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
Top News

Lt Governor chairs meeting of J&K Rajya Sainik Board

August 19, 2026
UN office no longer needed in Kashmir: Lt Governor

Jammu, Aug 18: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha Tuesday chaired the 81st Meeting of Jammu Kashmir Rajya Sainik Board, at Lok...

Read more
by LCT Desk
0 Comments
Next Post
Authorities direct eateries to disclose meat type on menus

Authorities direct eateries to disclose meat type on menus

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertising
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© 2021 Lake City Times - Premium theme by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • Top News
  • Region
  • City News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Edit-Oped
  • Tourism
  • National
  • World
  • ePaper

© 2021 Lake City Times - Premium theme by GITS.